Sunday 30 September 2012

The day I quit waiting for revival (and quit my job for good measure)

If you ask a spiritually inclined friend what images spring to mind when you say the word “revival”, its curious to hear what they’ll say (I’ve tried it, you should too). These are the kinds of answers you’ll get: revival is when churches have super long meetings that go on through the night and are held every day of the week. It includes miracles, masses of people coming from far and wide, really intense, heavenly worship, many converts, powerful preaching, physical manifestations of the spirit (people falling to the ground etc).

If you would prefer a less subjective source you could try a definition of revival from Wikipedia:
"A revival meeting usually consists of several consecutive nights of services conducted at the same time and location, most often the building belonging to the sponsoring congregation but sometimes a rented assembly hall, for more adequate space, to provide a setting that is more comfortable for non-Christians, or to reach a community where there are no churches. Tents were very frequently employed in this effort in the recent past, and occasionally still are, but less so due to the difficulties in heating and cooling them and otherwise making them comfortable, an increasing consideration with modern audiences."[ha ha ha!]

My own ideas about revival were not very dissimilar to these (except for that Wikipedia definition, that was just for laughs ;-) Subconsciously something told me that I should just keep praying and waiting and hoping for revival. When revival came we would all be saved at last! And then I read a story about Charles. This is how his story went. After having been baptised in the Spirit the previous night:
“Charles finally rose, prepared for the day, went to the law office, and began his career as an evangelist. He first spoke with his employer, Judge Wright, who left the office greatly troubled by Charles’ words. Later though, he would be wonderfully converted as a result of their conversation. Charles had a case scheduled for ten o’clock that morning. When his client, who happened to be a deacon in the church, came in for his pre-trial appointment, he asked, “Mr. Finney, do you recollect that my cause is to be tried at ten o’clock this morning? I suppose you are ready?” Charles told him, “I have a retainer from the Lord Jesus Christ to plead his cause, I cannot plead yours.” When Charles explained what had happened to him and said that he now intended to preach the Gospel rather than practice law, the deacon hung his head and walked out. He was so affected by Charles’ words that he went directly to settle his case himself, then returned home to pray and rededicate his life to the Lord.”
Charles Finney went on to lead thousands to a saving knowledge of Jesus. In one city there were 100 000 people saved. “It seemed wherever Charles Finney went, the Holy Spirit touched lives in wonderful ways because of his submission to Christ.”

I have been powerfully reminded of the wonder of it all. The wonder of a Spirit-filled life. The term is bandied about all too casually I think. Jesus said, “unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.” Jesus coined the term “born again” to describe what we call “revival”. Why the need for a second birth? The first birth bestowed on us our flesh and blood and all our human faculties. But human-beings don’t inherit the kingdom of heaven, spirit-beings do. The rebirth is as much of a miracle as the first. The rebirth re-generates us as descendants of God. This explains the crackling, electrical, world-shaking potential that pops and buzzes from the spirit-filled believer who walks in intimate communion with Him. We are (quite literally) of a different breed now. We are born of the Spirit.

When the reborn believer kneels before Father God and receives from heaven the divine exchange of the red-hot, melting love that comes from Father for the bitterness and hatred that was in his heart before, when he stands to his feet and begins to love his fellow human-beings with his hands and not only his words, when he walks with one ear to the needs of others and the other to the whispered directions of the Spirit, when he throws his hands in the air and worships the King who sits at the right hand of the Father and is filled with glory and praise and inexpressible joy, THIS, this IS revival!

And so I determined early one Monday morning that it was time for me to quit waiting for this mystical thing called revival. My life is as revived as it will ever be. I determined never to work another secular day in my life.* Now is for living and being what Father has chosen me to be. I am born of his seed and He is raising me up in His family business, one day to inherit with Him. The wrong question is “when?” the right question is “what now?” I’m pretty sure that God loves all of the stuff that we would normally associate with “revival” (listed above), but, like ol’ Charles over there, I’m not planning on waiting around for one to start. In truth, the revival started a long time ago and I’ve missed too much of it already!

* I still have a day-job, but it is no longer a means to an end.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Luke, shot for posting this thought. I enjoyed reading what you're mulling over. A bunch of guys in our church have been meeting once a week to share stories of past revivals & learn from them and be encouraged, inspired and stirred! The one thing that seems to run through almost every revival is prayer. People consistently contending for God to move. I feel that I need to be stirred up in this again because I can pray for a week or maybe a month, but then if I don't see results my desire wains and things fizzle out. But the number of stories in the bible and over the past couple of centuries of people contending for God to move, and their perseverance - 10, 20, 50 years of contending... God give me that passion!
    Duncan Campbell described revival as 'a whole community saturated with the presence of God.' He declared that there is a difference between revival and successful evangelism. In the successful evangelism you can have 10 or 20 people saved here, and another 100 brought to Christ there, but the community remains unchallenged... But when God steps down - when hearts are made clean by Him - then He finds an avenue through which He can move.
    The community then becomes saturated with God, so that many of those who find the Saviour come into a saving relationship with Him before they come near any church or place of meeting.

    Revival is clearly a move of God, so I think you're asking the right question "what now?" - lets not let prayer take a back seat.
    Keep pushing in bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback and the encouragement boet, much appreciated! I'm glad when I hear from a fellow warrior in the faith who's heart has been stirred by the Spirit, stirred to action!

    In some ways I feel like an old campaigner, having seen many battles waged by saints against the kingdom of darkness. In these battles I have sometimes seen the church push the darkness back and other times witnessed the church seeming to regress under fierce resistance. I have always been involved with radical churches who are passionate about seeing God's kingdom come on the earth (my folks are hungry God-seekers).

    I have witnessed powerful moves of God in my life(like the "Toronto blessing" and smaller but still significant "outpourings") with revival-style meetings and powerful demonstrations of the Spirit's power. I love this stuff and its exciting but what I have recently been challenged in is what I am trying to communicate in this blog. I am challenged by the truth that God's Spirit lives in me and, "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."

    Jesus told his disciples to wait in Jerusalem for the outpouring of his Spirit but he did not encourage them to do any waiting after that. Thereafter they just got busy with the Spirit's work. This is my challenge now, not "when Lord?", not waiting for a powerful and sovereign act of God but "what now Lord?", actively searching the heart of God and keeping busy with what he is already doing.

    Strength to you buddy!

    ReplyDelete