Saturday 10 October 2015

The indomitable Gauls

Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eye-witnesses. Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you. Because you see I had the rather enviable pleasure of attending the whole week of holy festivities that we have come to know and love – our annual four12 confer… [cough, splutter] Sorry, I still can’t bring myself to say that word. What a spiritual delight! A feast for the soul! A joyful reunion of tjommies from around the planet! We were like kids at a carnival.

Close your eyes and imagine a… (oh gosh, you cant read with your eyes closed can you?) Imagine a hall jam packed full of people. So full you can’t even raise your hands in worship. Then imagine the first chords are struck and Chad’s voice begins a familiar anthem which is promptly drowned out by the full throated roar of passionate praise from the throng of eager worshippers. While you worship your mind reels off an image of how you imagine worship will be in heaven one day, and how it must surely feel something like this.

I would summarise the message from the week like this – how do I measure success? Whether it be a church that I help lead or my own life. What is a successful Christian? There is a subtle and dangerous tendency to believe that an influential Christian is an effective one. But we were reminded this week that according to this definition, Jesus’ life was a dismal failure! He only had about 120 disciples immediately after his resurrection. According to this logic the pastoral team in my church is more successful than Jesus!

We were reminded this week that God blesses what is god-like. If whatever we are doing does not look like Christ then no matter how impressive it may look to others, it does not bring joy to God’s heart. Scripture tells us plainly that when our works are tested by fire only that which is founded on Christ himself will endure. God wants purity in his bride – sincere hearts, genuine love, undivided devotion to Christ himself. In our innermost being we know that all the affirmation we need is from God our Father but it is so dastardly tempting to seek the much more immediate approval and praise from our peers.

I was reminded that God loves generous hearts. Where we invest our treasure is where our hearts will inevitably follow. Where am I investing my treasure? In reality that is probably where my heart is. God blesses generous hearts because it reflects his own GINORMOUSLY generous heart. He who did not spare his only Son instantly recognizes and delights in a child who generously gives to where he is giving.

When I love those that my heart secretly despises (Because they make flou jokes. Or they talk so much I need to interrupt to ask a question which I don’t really want them to answer anyway. Or maybe they bear the unfortunate resemblance of someone who used to bully me in school) it pleases God hugely because it’s the kind of thing God does all the time, when he loves me despite that I sometimes, secretly think I could do a better job than him.

If we are faithful with little, God will give us much, but here’s a question that gave me pause, what do I do when he gives me much??? I need to be faithful with the much as though it were still little because the “little” in God’s eyes are the little people that he himself gets on his knees to serve with a basin and a towel. It’s those little ones that he makes daily intercession for before the father. And they will always be precious to him no matter how little they are. This is righteousness in God’s eyes and it is his definition of success. We never graduate from righteousness, as though it were a step on the stairway to success. Sacrificial love is an end in itself and it is what pleases God.


Which sounds easy enough, even noble and admirable, but this is still not the whole story. Christ was
noble and look what happened to him?! Success is not only the victories that we win in the war-torn domain of our hearts but the courage to withstand both the seductions of that slithering snake and the overt brutality and intimidation from a hostile world that would have us recant that Jesus is king and turn rather to secular humanism and cheap tolerance for salvation. We are a conspicuous little outpost of indomitable Gauls that are constantly given over to death but yet live on in the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment